Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Having Tattoo's does not make someone a Criminal...

Music and Tattoos... two things that are constantly inspiring me... I can remember idolizing men and women with tattoos, thinking, "Damn they are brave to commit to that for the rest of their lives, I wanna be that brave!"... cut to me having half sleeves and an assortment of body art a few years later! I hate the stigma and judgement that comes with having tattoos though.... The reason I wanted to do a piece on tatt's started when an older person in my life ( who shall remain nameless :), saw my tattoos for the first time in a picture of me in the newspaper, and the response was not favorable... :) Up until this point I had always worn sweaters and long sleeves around this person, it got tricky in those hot summer months! When I came over to visit one day, the picture was laid in front me, with the statement, " In my day, tattoos were only for criminals, sailors, and the morally corrupt"....

Now honestly, I wasn't that upset by this persons statement... they are from a different time that held different notions about the world around them... I would like to think the view of body art and piercings is changing in today's society. Just because someone has tattoos or piercings, is no reason to question their intelligence, income level, faith, nor is it grounds to make topical flippant judgements of them. Pastors, Doctors, Lawyers, and business owners are sporting tatts these days! Its just a way of expressing yourself, or remembering a moment, or highlighting something important to you. I've been told by many that because of my tattoos I will never have a "real job" or be taken serious in the business world... well, maybe its not for me anyway :) ....

Just because someone has tattoos... does not make them a scary person....

Be you, and do whatever you choose to your body.... hell, its YOUR body anyway! :)

JD

Photo Credit: Jordan Walker of Lovabelle Photography www.lovabellephotography.com

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment