Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ASK JOEY: Having a Fancy Camera Doesn't Make You a Professional

First off, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!  I hope you had a good holiday - it's time to get back to work!  The questions this week come from photographers.  A lot of you ask how to break into the industry - there's no concrete answer.  Some people work for years and catch their big break after lots of training and working and others land a big gig and are set for life.  The only thing I can really suggest is working with professional photographer and networking with lots of people.  Start off small but make big strides.  I'd also like to say that these days, it's quite simple to buy a fancy camera.  But you need to remember - that this does NOT make you a professional photographer.  Practice makes perfect.  If you want to be a photographer one day, then take a class and perfect your skill!

AH PHOTOGRAPHY STUDIO
I'm trying to identify what type of photographer I am or how my photography is classified.  Which direction do you think best fits me?  Here's a link to my new website I'm working on!  

 
I love your photos!  They scream fashion!  They also show that you understand people.  You should definitely pursue this.  You live in the fashion capitol of the world so start working with agencies.  You can start with their "New Faces" or "Development" departments.  Again, great photos!
 JM DAYAO
I'm a 26-year-old would-be fashion photographer.  I didn't go to school for this and am absolutely clueless on how I can be exposed and so on.  Do you have any advice for me on how to better network and meet the right people who can help me?

 
I really like your photos.  You seem to be going in the direction of fashion photography.  My advice would be to break into the industry by working as an assistant to a working photographer.  When I was an agent, most of the assistants that I knew became working photographers.  Not only will you get trained, but you will be networking with clients and building relationships.  Remember - it doesn't happen over night.  It will take time, but you're talented so trust yourself and go for it!
J & E PHOTOGRAPHY 
I was wondering if you can give me some advice about getting known in the industry for my photography.

 
These aren't fashion photos.  You need more flair and to be more creative.  Your pictures look like you are doing weddings or senior portraits.  In order to make a name in the industry, you need to work with modeling agencies or work for a photographer who knows what they're doing.  You need to work on your photography skills first - your portfolio needs to be edited.  Practice more!
EAGLES NEST PRODUCTIONS
My name is Fred and I just got into photography and am looking to build my portfolio.  I have shot a couple of models so far and am trying to pick a variety of sizes and ethnic backgrounds.  I would like to get into the model photography field.  Can you take a look at my pictures and give me some feedback?

 
I hate to say this, but they look like boring shots of your girlfriend on a casual day.  Anybody can do what you're showing me.  I consider photography an art.  You have to work at it and some people just have a natural talent for it.  I would definitely take some classes and focus on lighting and composition.  Work for a professional photographer and see how they work.  With the digital cameras that are out these days, everyone can take a picture.  Re-think what you want to do because there's a lot of work you're going to have to put in.
DANNY CAMPBELL
I would like some professional advice and guidance on my portfolio.  This is only my third year shooting and I want to create an amazing body of work!

 
First of all, you only have one photo in your portfolio.  You need more.  I don't see anything with your portfolio.  You have to be kidding me.
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment