Friday, February 25, 2011

Ask Joey: Make Appointments and Go to Open Calls

Last weekend, I was hoping I could recover from my week at Fashion Week NY, but alas, I had to go to Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia to scout and interview 400 kids for a JMT competition.

JMT is having a big modeling and talent competition in the spring, which takes place in D.C. At this competition, the kids are able to interview with 50 different agencies, some of which are the top agencies in the United States, and many of them are active agencies who use our parent site, ModelWire.

To make sure the agents are meeting with quality models and talent, JMT has to pre-interview all the kids and personally invite the kids that they have selected to the actual competition.

I had the hard job of being the official judge in the Virginia area. My duties were to interview 400 kids, whose age ranged anywhere from 12-21 years old - by MYSELF - and narrow the bunch down to 100.

Talk about hard. I was only given two days, Sat. and Sun., to meet with all 400. I allowed up to 5 minutes per kid and they each had to do a monologue and runway walk. If they had a song to sing, I allowed them a few bars. At the end, I would collect their headshot, book and/or comp cards.

Wish I had more time to give them and I hate deciding who gets to go and who doesn't, but it is a good experience for the kids. I did find one outstanding 16-year old, who had the most amazing voice! I know she is going to go far with her career.

I only hope that I can help out with all of your folks' careers.

This week, I had to keep it short and simple with my answers. My MWN Inbox is getting jam packaged with questions. I wish I had a bunch of time to just sit down and answer them all. Be patient with me as I go through the list - I will answer your questions, but I try to answer them in the order as they come in.


Maria

I recently moved to Los Angeles to further pursue my modeling career. I really wanted to move to New York, but many people in the industry told me that my look is commercial and that I should go to Los Angeles because it is more commercial there. I really love high fashion. They also told me that I am too curvy for high fashion. I am currently with a commercial agency in Los Angeles. If I slim down, do you think I would have more of a high fashion appeal or is my look totally commercial?

Maria, you are a very beautiful lady and the camera loves you. However, it is hard for me to answer you without knowing your SIZES AND STATS. I know there was a saving issue there for a while, but the MWN developers have fixed that issue, so you or anyone else shouldn't have any excuse why your stats aren't visible on your profile.

The way it is right now, your book is not commercial at all. If you are 5'9" and/or over, then I would tell you to go for it and pursue a high fashion career. If you aren't, then you do need to take their advice and start taking more commercial photos. You do have a great look.


Bryan McClure

I am an actor and I do some modeling too. I am looking to get more involved in modeling and get more exposure as an artist. I have a good look, but don't really know how to integrate myself into the areas of modeling that my type can be most utilized. Can you help me with this?

I would advise you to set up meetings or go to open calls at model agencies. Find a photographer on ModelWire Network and get some more pics for your portfolio.

You need to Test Test Test!

You have a nice look, but remember you should be at least 6 feet for most agencies.


Caellum

I just moved out to LA from Sydney, Australia where I was doing a bit of modeling part-time, but have moved out here to pursue acting and modeling more full-time. I just wanted to know if you had a chance if you could look over my photos and give me any advice as to whether or not you think I've got the current look your industry is looking for.

Caellum, you do have a good look, but you need more photos in your book. Show a variety of looks. This will showcase how versatile you are as a male model. Like I told Bryan and many others in my former posts, get out there and make appointments with agents and of course, go to their open calls.


Janice Glaab

I'm new to the industry, I'm 53, and am just getting started. I'd love you to look at my photos and get your feedback. Also, suggestions on how a 'lifestyle' model gets a good agent? The answer, I suspect, is different than for a 20 year old.

I like the pictures of you. They are on the money for lifestyle modeling. However, it's going to be hard for you to find a quality agent. Most models your age have been doing it for years. They grew up in the business. For your age group, the market is very small and difficult to make any money. I suggest you should also follow suit: call and go on open calls to print and commercial agencies.


In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @thejoeyhunter


* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment