Thursday, March 6, 2014

ASK JOEY: Get Out Of Your Own Way

No matter who you are, where you are, or what career you're pursuing, the biggest challenges you'll often face are of your own making. When you're starting out as a model, you may think you need to have the perfect pictures, be repped by a top tier agency, or immediately move to a large market like NY or LA. You start planning so far into the future, that you can't see the short term steps you need to take to get you there. To start out, make sure you are realistic about your type (not everyone can be a fashion model) and go from there. Get a few diverse shots in your book (commercial types ABSOLUTELY need a good headshot), and start out locally. Meet with agents, get feedback, and don't be afraid to dive in. Sitting back and dreaming about being the next Tyra or Gisele isn't going to get you where you want to be. You have to do what you can to make it happen.


SHANICE ASHLEY
What should I do if I do not have enough money to get photoshoots to build my portfolio when walking through agency doors. I always hold myself back when I really want to push myself forward.

First off, you have enough pictures to start, what you need is to find an agent before you spend any money on additional photos. If you've had meetings but haven't had luck yet, there could be something wrong in the way you're presenting yourself. You have a different look and just need to find an agent who feels they can make money with you. If you haven't been submitting because you're worried that you don't have enough photos, stop thinking that way. You have polaroids and a variety of shoots in your book. Start submitting and taking meetings! If an agent wants to work with you, they will suggest photographers for you to test with and let you know what additional images they need to move forward.
SYDNEY L. ROBINSON
Would you mind looking over my portfolio and giving me some feedback?
You are a pretty woman, but you live in a small market without a lot of work in this industry. Are you looking to move? That's a big life change with two children. You're a TV/Commercial type, one of the most competitive areas of the business. You seem to have a good job, so if you're happy with what your doing and not looking to relocate, I would say "don't quit your day job." You could try to find a commercial agent in Detroit, if it's not too far from you, and see if you could pick up some local commercial work on the side.
OHWAWA
I've been modeling for a year now and my main goal, as for any other model, is to land with a big agency. I know I have what it takes. What do you advise me to do?
You're too short for fashion but have a good look. You live in a small market, so I would suggest finding a local agent to build up your resume before you attempt to break into a large market. If it's not too inconvenient for you, try setting up meetings with agents in Washington, DC or Baltimore. Don't spend any more money on pictures until you get an agent.
CHA'QUOYA
Would you mind taking a look at my portfolio? I would greatly appreciate it.
Your pictures all look pretty much the same. I would suggest checking out agents in Dallas and trying to set up some meetings. They can help advise you on the best types of shots to add to your portfolio, if they're interested in working with you. You definitely need a big more variety. You can also reach out to other MWN members in your area, especially photographers, to see if anyone would be interested in collaborating on a shoot so you can get a few different types of shots in your book.
MEGAN SAMMUT
I'm a 24 year old aspiring model who has done numerous photoshoots with freelance photographers. Do you have any feedback/advice on my pictures?
You have too many pictures in your portfolio, so I'd start by editing some out. You should make some appointments with commercial TV & print agents since you live in NYC. See what they say. Continue studying acting for sure, because that is going to be your main area you're competing in.


In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment