Thursday, May 9, 2013

ASK JOEY: Own Your Height!

Hi MWN! I apologize for the delay in weekly posts, I've been very busy with the Spring season - I hope you guys are enjoying the beautiful weather wherever you are!  I just wanted to bring up how important height and other measurements play a role in your career.  Although there are a lot of talented people out there, unfortunately, the fashion modeling industry pays close attention to this.  If you do not fit the height requirements, then you are most likely considered to be a commercial model.  Although the commercial modeling industry is highly competitive, this is what you should be pursuing.  Don't waste your time trying to become the next Kate Moss.  Stick to your correct path and definitely own it!  Good luck!

CHELSEA TIGNOR
I have a few questions about lifestyle/print/parts modeling.  I am 5'5" so I know I will never be able to do high fashion runway modeling.  However, I have been told lifestyle and commercial print modeling would be an option.  I have also been advised to see "parts" modeling for my eyes and smile.  What advice do you have about how to find these type of agencies and become involved in that branch of the modeling industry?

 
You have a great look for commercial TV and print.  They were right who ever pushed you in that direction.  The key is how big the market is in Nashville.  Are there any good agents to rep you? If this is something you are truly passionate about, would be willing to relocate? The models they use for body parts do all kinds of commercial type modeling. Honestly, you can't make a living doing parts modeling.  There are more commercial type agencies than there are fashion agencies.  I would start by checking the ModelWire Directory for agencies in your town and reaching out to them.  You have a great look!
ALEXXIS JOHNSON
I could really use some professional advice! I've been doing local modeling for a couple of years now, but I wanted to find an agency in the Southern California region. My problem, however, is that I'm only just over 5'7". I believe that my measurements (waist, hips, etc.) are slim enough that any potential height-to-width ratio wouldn't be a problem. Do you have any advice, or would you like/need additional information?

 
You look and photograph like a fashion model, but you obviously know that your height is the only problem. Definitely pursue a commercial modeling career. Get up to LA, find a commercial agent and get a more "commercial" look.  Work on cold readings for TV commercials and pursue that route.  You have a good look, but it's hard to make it as a short fashion model. So definitely up your game in the commercial modeling field!
RACHEL-ELISE
I'm wondering what I can do to get shoots similar to Victoria's Secret, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, etc.  I know VS only takes Ford girls, and I'm not tall enough for Ford, but I'd like jobs within that genre and to be fairly well-publicized.  I am not currently represented but have been in the past.  I'd like to be again but where I am (Israel), agencies have specific height requirements so I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice will help!

 
Victoria's Secret and Sports Illustrated only use girls that are 5'9" and above.  There are few exceptions but very few.  Go with a more commercial look and get represented by a commercial agencies.  This means you'll have to update your portfolio with more commercial photos.  If there is a small commercial market where you live, maybe take some time and travel and get gigs somewhere else.  Unfortunately, the gigs you want are very strict on their height requirements.  That's the just way of the game.  Your best bet is to do more commercial modeling.
NOEL ELIZABETH
Hello, my name is Noel Elizabeth. I'm 18 years old and my dream is to become a Ford model. If you get a chance, would you please review my portfolio? It would mean a lot. I would like to know what I need to work on to become a Ford model. Thank you very much for your time.

 
Unfortunately, you are not Ford's type.  You have the height but not the look.  Find an agent in Las Vegas.  You can start with the ModelWire Directory.  You need to work on your portfolio a bit - try out different looks.  Work with photographers on MWN in your area and get more commercial type photos.  Good luck!
JORDYN RYDER
I just recently did an audition with you at Barbizon of Harrisburg on March 5. I am sad to say that I will not be able to attend the Barbizon show case due to the impact that it would have on my budget. I am still planning on taking your advice and I'm going to pursue acting. I have been in contact with a few people who are planning on giving me a helping hand, however, I was hoping you would be able to provide me with some good advice.

 
Go with Wilhelmina in Philly.  It's a good market and they have an office in all of the major markets. I remember meeting you!  I worry about people who want to give you a helping hand - just be cautious.  You got your basic training in Harrisburg.  Let Wilhelmina find an acting class for you in Philadelphia.  You have a great look and I don't think you'll have any problems - keep me posted on everything!
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter


Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment