Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ask Joey: Meet our Featured Members for April 2011

I am sure you have all noticed we are featuring new members on our homepage! I am excited that every month we will be featuring new members. Don't worry all of our former featured members will be archived and still visible on your homepage.
Once a featured member, always a featured member.
I talked about this last time in blog, "Meet our Featured Members for March 2011". The MWN team is currently selecting our members to feature. The way we do this is by selecting members we feel are true artists and active members on our site. This is a community based website and we want our members running this network. You all have a voice on here and you decide how this site works. Become active on this site: LIKE members' photos, comment on them, FRIEND members. The more activity on this site the easier it is to be noticed.
Soon you will be able to browse for the most viewed profiles and the most "liked" profiles. This will help keep track of members' activities and it will be up to you, our members, to shape this community. This site's goal is to promote professionals and to help each other grow.
If you feel a certain member deserves to be on the homepage, feel free to tell us know.


Why modeling?
I sort of fell into modeling, I was interested in acting and one thing led to another. I love it because you don't have to memorize lines! It's acting without words.
Who is your favorite model of all time?
It comes between the legendary Kate Moss, who defied the standards of the industry and the gorgeous and talented Lara Stone.
What do you look for when selecting a photographer to work with?
I look to see if they have something different about their style that I don't already have in my portfolio, and that style has to be of quality. Quality as in a professional level.
What product can you not live without?
Maybelline Great Lash Mascara!
What genre does your work focus on?
I like to do a bit of everything, but I mostly get cast for editorial fashion, and beauty work. I especially love editorial because it tells a story.

What inspires you?
Inspiration is around and within. I find that music and paintings are great foods for thought. When I actively listen to music, I get vivid, almost cinematic visions. I make notes of my ideas for later to execute.
Some ideas have no ground in reality and they make me admire the creative works by René Magritte and Salvador Dali. From within, I look at my own emotions, antagonistic ideas or desires, and opposing forces...and use them in guiding my work.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
When I am shooting for a client, the models should have the specific look and energy that will embody the character that we are photographing. For personal projects, the key quality I am looking for is confidence.
What kind of a camera/equipment do you use?
For lighting in the studio, I love Profoto. They are excellent, consistent lights that have an unmatched level of quality that I cannot find with other brands. As for camera-choice, unless for very specific jobs, I shoot with Canon full frame 35mm digital and film cameras. My preferred lenses are the Carl-Zeiss 50mm and the Canon 70-200 for their sharpness and detail.
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
My current project, Holopic™, is the heart of my life, right now. I am really excited to give a third dimension to my work, and be able to display it on today's phones and computers without an expensive 3D display. No special glasses are needed, which is exciting! Content-wise, I am creating a couple of series that are tributes to my favorite painters, I am looking forward to presenting.
What genre does your work focus on?
While some consider my style to be too broad, I concentrate on consistent quality and strong work. I love to focus on beauty when shooting editorial photos. In my commercial work, I strive to understand the business perspective while bringing a classy feel from my fashion photography background.

Why makeup artist?
Makeup chose me before I chose it. I had always been interested in makeup, but never thought of it as a career. Right out of high school, I got offered the opportunity to do makeup on a local cable show in Phoenix. The senior artist working on the show offered to teach me everything she knew before leaving me in charge. Makeup as a career was sort of chosen for me, but I loved it so much I chose it back.
Who is your favorite makeup artist of all time?
My favorite makeup artist is Roshar. From his flawless foundation applications to his color choices, Roshar always has me impressed. The ideas he comes up with make me want to be a better artist. I see work from him and am inspired. Immediately, I want to pick up my brushes and design a makeup look that can complete with his creativity.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
When selecting a model, the number one thing I look for is great skin. It should be clear, without redness or inconsistent texture. Symmetry is also important in a model. I want to be able to get a shot from head on and not have to stare at the photo, wishing her left eye was nudged just a few millimeters up. From there it is a matter of taste. I love a model with strong bone structure, full lips and vibrant eyes. And it doesn't hurt to have long, thick lashes and eye brows Burt and Ernie would be jealous of. The more eye brows, the merrier.
What product can you not live without?
I could not live without my Smith's Rosebud Salve. It is one of those products that can do it all. It moisturizes lips, shapes brows, brightens cheeks, and even tames fly aways. And the smell doesn't hurt either. Rosebud Salve really is a wonder product.
What is your most embarrassing moment professionally?
I was doing makeup in a hotel room for a bridal party and the only chair they had for the bridesmaids to sit on was more like the height of an ottoman. So I spent the majority of my morning bending over and cocking my head to the side to apply makeup. I was working on the sixth girl and on the home stretch, when out of nowhere my nose started shooting out snot. I was lucky enough to catch it and turn around before she knew what was going on. Turned away from her, I attended to my faux pas, sanitized and went back to work. All that moving my head up and down, sideways and every which direction really got my sinuses going. That day, I learned that high stools are not just to save a makeup artist back. They can also save you a lot of embarrassment when working long-term like I was.

What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
Models are selected based on whether or not their specific attributes fulfill the needs and conceptual components of the project. This is very integral to the success of any project.
What is your favorite store to shop at?
I don't have favorite stores to shop at. However, I do love the experiences of certain retail environments. Opening Ceremony (New York and Los Angeles) on one end of the spectrum to AllSaints, on the other. I enjoyed eating and purchasing Aesop products at Colette.
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
My all-time favorite project I worked on was "Entre Nous." It was successfully published three times internationally - in America, London and China.
What is your personal style?
My personal style is classic with a twist. Gucci black knee-high boots with GAP skinny jeans. Two favorite personal jackets are one by Jean Paul Gaultier and a navy number by Atsuro Tayama, both purchased somewhere between 2005 and 2006 and a vintage Lanvin-Castillo '50's scarf found in Paris. The best wardrobe style is one that looks good and works well!
What is your favorite band or song of all time?
One of my favorite songs of all times is "Talk We Don't" by Pal. I have many favorites-old and new. I love music!

Who is your favorite hair stylist of all time?
Luigi Mureno because his work is sexy, beautiful and effortless.
What inspires you?
The 70's and also early 80's Halston and Studio 54, all of which included women who were very much fun, sexy and sassy.
What products can you not live without?
Kiehl's Silk Groom, Neil George Dry Shampoo and Liss Control by L'Oréal Professional.
What genre does your work focus on?
I love to do everything that involves hair design for movies, fashion shows, editorial and also my salon work with my lovely clients both male and female.
What is your personal style?
Everything Givenchy… LOVE!

I hope you all befriend these members - I have.

In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY

* Have a question for me? Ask away on my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment