Thursday, May 3, 2012

Stay true to yourself in the fashion industry


The first question this week is a very important one.  If you do not feel comfortable doing something in the modeling industry (i.e. nude photos), then don't do them!  A lot of you may think it's a "requirement" for high fashion, but really, it is not.  Yes, nudity can be artistic and beautiful, but if you don't want to do it, then please don't.  It's important to stay true to your values and beliefs in this industry.  One, it makes you who you are and unique.  But also, it's easy to get caught up in this crazy world, so hold onto yourself as much as you can.  Sometimes agencies admire when you stand up for what you believe in.  So the tip of the week is to stay true to yourself!  It is not worth losing who you are. 

OLESIA
Hi there Joey, I would like for your opinion on my look.  I have some job offers for some fashion shoots but some of the things they're requiring are things that I think are inappropriate.  I am not a fan of shooting nudes and I know many fashion campaigns want nudity and sexuality.  I love fashion and would love to work in fashion but with a more classy and professional approach.  I am also just a bit below the 5'9" requirement so I feel more pressure to have to take risks I am not entirely comfortable with in order to further my modeling career.  What is your advice for young ladies who dream of making it big in this industry and keeping it classy at the same time?

 
It's very important to remember to be true to yourself.  If nudity is not for you then don't do it.  I believe it will always come back to haunt you so be prepared to say no often.  Unfortunately, you're not a fashion model because of your height.  But you are very beautiful - so definitely pursue the commercial route.  Work on your book more and take more photos.  Good luck!
LINDSIE KAY
I am an aspiring model with little experience.  I have done print modeling for Dayton's Today magazine and taken courses at Caryn International here in Minnesota at a young age.  Is there a time limit to what should be on my resume?  My experience is from when I was 5-9 years old and I am now 22!  I would like to get some things started for myself but don't know where to begin.  I have some comp cards with updated photos on them.  Should I start sending them out to agencies in my area?  I am also a full time student and work a full time job.  I have the energy and motivation to get started in a modeling career, but as of now, time does not always permit.  Please send any advice you have my way!

 
You need to forget the past.  Start fresh!  This means new pictures, a new resume, a new agent - you have to make time if it's what you want.  Also, you have a commercial look.  Take some acting classes and work with a theater company at school if you want so that you will be audition-ready.  
TONIA CASCIO
I would love to get any advice you have for me on furthering my career.  I am signed with an agency but they have not sent me on any castings in over 3 months!  I've even emailed my agent reminding her about me.  I am going to try to look for a new agency soon.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

 
Considering your height, you're too short for fashion modeling but you seem to pull it off.  I would definitely look for different agents.  Something is wrong if they aren't sending you to go-sees.  Have face-to-face contact with them and them to be honest with you because it's a waste of your time.  It sounds like you are a professional - so get treated like one!  The right agent will be willing to work with you.  Keep your head in the game!
MCKENNA
Thank you for the add and for offering advice to me.  My mom signed me with an agency when I was only 6 weeks old and since then I have been signed.  I just recently decided to get back into modeling after taking the last 3 years off and it's been hard getting back into the industry.  Any suggestions for me?

 
You have a great commercial look and there are plenty of agents in your area.  I'm sure they would love to represent you.  Go see your old agent and see if they can offer you any advice - maybe they'll even sign you again. Check our ModelWire Directory for agents in your area.  Don't let that look of yours go to waste!  You have great potential!
ABIGAIL B.
I would very much appreciate any feedback you can provide on my portfolio.  Thanks so much! 

 
I think you have way too many 'sexy' photos.  If you're serious about your career, you need to put some clothes on!  You are definitely a commercial model - take more photos.  Commercial agents look for everyday type photos (usually that involve clothes).  Start working with photographers on MWN and get more test photos.  Once you've done that, you can bring your updated portfolio to agents in Miami (there are plenty of them!).
In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @TheJoeyHunter


Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment