Friday, March 18, 2011

Ask Joey: Coming Back From a Hiatus

For all you models who just came back or are thinking about coming back to modeling after a hiatus - the best way to get back into the business is to revisit your former agency and/or management team.


Setup a face to face with them. Don't start from scratch. Go right to the source, before you spend money for pictures.


Tell them you want to come back. Ask them if you should, and if you do, in what direction.


See what they suggest and trust them. Too many times people misjudge themselves because they believe they are a certain way when they're not. For example, a lot of times a model will think they are still a high fashion model, when they are actually more lifestyle. An agent or manager knows exactly where you should be. That's their job.


Andrew Dima

I have been sending my work to Ford Models for about five years. Ever since I started modeling, I wanted to be a part of that agency. If possible, would you mind whenever you have a chance, to give me some advice? Maybe Ford is not right for me, but I want to take the next step.

To be honest, you are too commercial for Ford. Ford looks mainly for fashion models.

What you need to do is focus on getting signed with a local agency. Find one in the Philadelphia and/or the DC area. You need an agency that does both TV and commercial print. You say in your MWN profile that you are also an actor, which is good, because in the commercial modeling world, you need to act. Make sure you are also working on your cold reading skills.


Julia Fullerton

Could you look at my portfolio and give me your feedback? I am trying to break into the larger markets and wanted to see if you had any advice for me and my look.

You have a really great portfolio and a really nice look.

I can't give you much advice on your book. It looks great to me, but it's hard for me to help you without knowing your sizes and stats.

As for breaking into larger markets, you are already at a great agency. Wilhelmina has branches all over the country. What you need to do is tell your agent that you want to expand, and have them introduce you to other Wilhelmina agents working in the larger markets.

They should be able to set up a meeting or send them your book. I think you are ready and have the look for larger markets. Your agent will help you, just stay on top of him or her.


Madou

I have been modeling for a bit now; however, I want to make the big jump to the top agencies in LA like Ford, Wilhelmina, and LA models. I have the ambition and drive needed for the industry. I would appreciate any help and advice in making the jump possible.

First of all, you have a great look and body, but I don't know your sizes and stats. You also only have two photos in your MWN portfolio and in both of them, you are half naked.

You need to really add some more photos to your portfolio. Hook up with a great photographer on MWN and load up on fashion editorial photos. Preferably, with you fully clothed.


Nalky

I have just decided to start modeling again and would love to be with a reputable agency in Chicago and NY. I was with Ford Chicago and moved away and am back! I would love for you to look at some new photos I took and maybe guide me in the right direction. Where should I send the pictures too?

Like I said in the beginning of this article, you should go back your former representation. Go back to Ford Chicago, see if they will represent you again or see if they have anything to offer.

If not, then go back to hitting the pavement.

If these really are all new updated photos in your MWN portfolio, then I think you have a great chance at making another go at this business.


Congratulations Asia Monet, Franklin Thompson Photography, Lei Phillips, Gia Deo Artistry, and James Griffiths, Salon Blu for being ModelWire Network's first featured members on our newly revamped homepage!


In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me @thejoeyhunter


* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment