Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ask Joey:Meet our Featured Members for March 2011

I have to say, I love our newly revamped homepage especially the fact that we are now able to show off some of our members. This will be a monthly occurrence, for our first time doing this, I think we selected some great people.
I am sure you all wanted to know why we chose them. The reason is because we want to showcase members who are 1) active members in our community, and 2) working professionals.
Everyone is an artist, whether it be as a model, photographer, designer, stylist, MUA, etc. The key is figuring out how to make money as an artist. The successful ones know how. Keep in mind, success does not always mean making big bucks. It means working to sustain your art, so you can work in this business.
We feel that all of our featured members are successful and we wanted to showcase them so they could grow in their profession.
All of them graciously answered 5 questions and we feel they really show off their personalities. Their answers also mirror their visions as artists.

Why modeling?
I choose to pursue modeling because I felt that women of color and size were under represented in magazines and fashion.
What inspires you?
I am inspired by the everyday woman who feels discouraged by the images that fashion and media traditionally display. I am inspired to create images that make them feel that their curves are celebrated.
What product can you not live without?
I cannot live without Derma Blend! To me, it is the best concealor and it doesn't rub off on clothing...
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
One of my favorite projects was Glamour Magazine's Bra Makeover Story. I believe my involvement as a busty woman looking for a solution for a strapless bra helped others with the same issue.
What is your personal style?
My personal style is very urban chic. I like to throw on some skinny jeans with pumps and a flattering blouse.
Why photography?
I love photography because I love the magic of capturing a moment forever in time. There's something about certain images where I can stare at them forever and let my imagination run wild.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
When looking for a model to work with, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a million and one beautiful people so I look for expression and emotion. Modeling is acting. You're playing a role. It does no good to have just a pretty face.
What kind of a camera/equipment do you use?
I primarily shoot with a Canon 35mm DSLR.
What genre does your work focus on?
My work is mostly editorial and beauty. Although I have a large collection of personal work which consist of all polaroids and black and white film. I carry and old school manual Leica M6 camera with black and white film with me at all times.
What is your most embarrassing moment professionally?
My most embarrassing moment as a photographer happened when I had my first big shoot in a studio. I tried to play it cool as if I'd been doing this a while. Hair, makeup, wardrobe, and model were all done and ready to go. I was looking through the camera and for the life of me, couldn't figure out why my camera seemed dead. I know for sure I charged the batteries and checked them. Power was on. All I could see through the lens was black. Then the model smiled at me and giggled. She pointed at my camera and said with a quiet Russian accent "the cap is still on the lens". Oops!
Why hair styling?
I actually did hair while studying architecture. I honestly never thought I would stick with it. One summer while traveling in Europe, I took a course at the original Tony & Guy (TIGI) Academy on St. Cristopher's Place. I was so inspired by Anthony Mascolo and James Morrison... the photoshoots, the hairpiece workshop, everything about that place was fresh and exciting. The clients and models we worked with were so fashion-forward and open-minded that I think I fell in love with hairdressing in London that summer. Sometimes a summer love does last forever.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
Well of course, facial symmetry, good skin, bone structure and a long neck, but personality can take a girl a long way in my opinion. I've gotten some of my favorite shots with girls who couldn't get signed to save their lives.
What product can you not live without?
Currently, I never leave for a session without my Redken Iron Silk.
What genre does your work focus on?
I work daily in the salon so I do a lot of commercial cut, color and everyday styling. In session, it's always me trying to push for a more sophisticated or sometimes a more edgy editorial look. I think hair and makeup in magazines should inspire everyday people, not vice-versa. I am trying to drag San Francisco along (kicking and screaming sometimes) in a loftier fashion direction. You can walk out on the street and see jeans, t-shirts and flat hair. People don't care to see that in media.
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
I love working with Erik and Robert at Von Gutenberg Magazine. They always let me do whatever I like and even get in on the art direction. They also appreciate the artistry and having a real hairdresser on-set.... They're not interested in pressuring an MUA to fake the hair and "just do something, anything". That's the worst thing that can happen to undermine a shoot. You should never accept mediocrity to save a few budget dollars. I would rather work for free or pull in a favor than see a shoot go astray.
Why wardrobe stylist?
It gives me the enjoyment of throwing myself into a storyline and to create outfits that fit that story. It's almost like your living a dream and to see your dreams come true is the most exciting feeling to have.
Who is your favorite wardrobe stylist of all time?
Patricia Field
What is your favorite store to shop at?
Mango
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
Kenton Magazine because the looks were fun to come up with.
What is your personal style?
A loose black tank top, my Diesel ripped denim shorts, and some Black High heel wedges.

Why makeup artist?
I chose makeup artistry because I love to create looks with human expression. The model is crucial to the look. Without that, the makeup does not come to life.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
When I choose a model, I look at her eyes - can she communicate with the camera, does she speak to you in a picture. Features, of course, are important, but expression is number one.
What product can you not live without?
I love my Graftobian Glamour Creme foundation. I cannot live without their foundations. Truly amazing.
What genre does your work focus on?
My makeup is either super clean beauty or over the top Avant Garde. So when looking at my port, you can see that.
What is your personal style?
I love wearing black leggings and a black t-shirt when I am working. I really get into my makeup so I want to move. I am super casual, but love to dress it up once in a while. An awesome piece of jewelry does the trick.

I hope you enjoyed their answers as much as I enjoyed them. Become networking friends with these folks, they are the real deal.

In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY
Follow me on Twitter @thejoeyhunter

* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment