Friday, May 13, 2011

Ask Joey: I'll be Judging this Weekend

I am off to Vienna, Virginia for the JMT/Barbizon competition this weekend.

Back in February, I had to privilege to interview 400 models for this competition. I am excited to see who will be there and who unfortunately won't. This competition will go on all weekend long. At the end, there will callbacks where the models will meet with agencies. I am going as judge and to spread the word about ModelWire Network. Need to get more people on this site, please recruit with me!

Kaelee Shepherd

Any suggestions and critiques? I would greatly appreciate it!

Kaelee_1

My suggestion is that you start teaming up with a photographer, Makeup Artist and Hair Stylist in your area right away. Your photos in your portfolio are very artistic, but they do not bring out the best in you!

Honestly your photos feel awkward. This one for instance:

Kaelee_2

You look like you are about to faint. You placed your arms in between your legs, the only thing you forgot to put your head down.

I am not trying to be mean, but if you are dedicated like you say you are in your "About Me" section, then start concentrating on teaming up with other professionals on this site. Find a photographer who will showcase you and not showcase their stylized art form.

Erin Bevins

Please take a look at new photos. Opinions? Critique?

Bevins_1

I first reviewed your portfolio back in December and I said, "When it comes to your portfolio, as far as I am concerned, I only like your first photo in your ModelWire Network portfolio." I still agree, your first photo is still my favorite, but the good news is your portfolio is improving but in my opinion, I would get rid of these photos:

Bevins_3 Bevins_4 Bevins_5

Bevins_2

They do not do you any justice; in fact, most of them look awkward.

You need to do more testing. Get together with a great photographer on MWN. You have a pretty look and all of your photos in your portfolio should reflect that.

Kaitlyn Marie Giguere

I would love to see what you think about my profile if you get a moment, thanks again. I am a smaller plus model who is very interested in seeking representation in New York or Chicago. I have had an agency in my area, but they never got me any work. I was hoping you could give me some feedback on my look/portfolio or some advice in general.

Kaitlyn

There is no such thing as a "smaller" plus size model. You are either plus size or not.

Before you take any more photos, you need to think about what route you want to take as a model. Right now, you are in between being a plus size and a commercial print model.

I would suggest you focus on taking more lifestyle photos and get rid of all those "trying to be sexy" photos. When your portfolio is more focused, start approaching agencies in Chicago, which is the market closest to you.

Jennifer Dowdy

I am an aspiring plus size model. Can you give me any direction based on my pictures?

Dowdy

Chicago is a great market for plus size modeling. You have a great look, but you need more photos.

Find a photographer, MUA and hair stylist on MWN and get crackin'!

In the meantime,

Have a successful day!

JOEY

Follow me on Twitter @thejoeyhunter

* Have a question for me? Click here to go to my ModelWire Network profile.

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment