Thursday, May 19, 2011

Danielle Defoe: She's Got a Lust for Life


Los Angeles based artist Danielle Defoe is one of fashion's fiercest up-and comers. Stylist, photographer, painter and overall wanderlust - this girl is living life to it's fullest. With a philosophy that "Dreams are a life force" it's no wonder that her resume is filled with projects that most would kill for. She's worked on campaigns for fashion retailer ASOS, and even worked with the likes of Brad Pitt, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicole Ritchie.  

With a serious lust for life and a level head on her shoulders, Danielle is taking the fashion industry by storm and gives true meaning to the age-old phrase "work hard, play hard."






Tell us a bit about yourself and how you decided to pursue a career in fashion.
I am originally from the land of the peaches: Atlanta, Georgia. Style and art was always something I loved. By the time I was 3, I was raiding my mother's closet trying on big hats, heels, and red lipstick, anything glamorous really. I wanted to be a photographer, painter, and author when I grew up so innately I developed those talents.
How did you end up here in Los Angeles?
I’ve never been one to really plan.  I was working in retail in Chicago right after college miserable in the snow and I just decided I was moving to LA.  I subleased my apartment in the middle of January and moved within two weeks. I knew one person living out here and I didn’t know her very well at the time. I moved in with her boyfriends band in Silverlake and just figured it out from there. Turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made.  
What do you think is more important - school or real life experience?
I think it’s important to have both. School was such a crucial part of my development as an artist. You learn to think about the world differently, and how to give and receive constructive criticism. I am so grateful for my education.  I spent a semester at Central Saint Martins in London and that experience had such a strong impact on my style, and taste in music and art. London is a very inspiring place to be as a young artist, the culture is so thick. Travel is important in general for self-discovery. Life experiences give you all the content, for after all our dreams are based on what we know of our waking life.     
How did you start styling and doing photography when you came out to LA?
I started working for photographer Kenneth Cappello when I first moved here. That experience gave me an eye into the industry and I was able to see what's possible with hard work and persistence.  His work is so inspiring, fun, cutting edge, and he’s all around rad as a person. I started styling because I wanted to work with a multitude of talents and creative visions. I shoot or style depending on the job, in the end it’s all about the final product and the collaboration process.  I just met the right people I guess. Besides professionalism and integrity, it really is about timing and who you know.  
What inspires you?
The pure flame of life.

What are some of your favorite projects you've worked on?
I went on a three day camping trip last year with COMUNE where I styled a motorcycle shoot for Qvest Magazine.  That was a really good experience, it’s always great to work with friends and the story turned out to be killer. I collaborated with my friend Corey Smith on some snowboards for Capita, which are about to come out.  That was really fun and different as it was a first for me. Photographically the best is yet to come.  I have a lot of projects going on right now which I can't wait to drop... 


Highlight of your career so far?
I worked with Brad Pitt recently that was a thrill.  He’s just a normal guy with killer looks and talent, but it was such an honor to work with someone I greatly admire.  He moved refrigerators, drove around strippers in a limo and dressed as a giant chicken for "El Pollo Loco" before his acting career took off. You have to start at the bottom to get to the top.   
Where do you see your career going in the future?
I would like to get an agent pretty soon.  It’s a lot easier to make amazing work without having to wear so many hats.
Any favorite designers, photographers or fashion personalities?
Favorite designers would be Givenchy, Lavin, Jason Wu, Alexander Wang, Balmain, Phillip Lim, anything rock n' roll. Emerging talents I really like right now would be Veda out of NY, my friend Amanda Thomas’s jewelry line LuvAJ, anything DIY.   
In no particular order some photographers' whose work I love would be: Sebastian Kim,  Kenneth Cappello, Beau Grealy, Juergen Teller, Guy Aroch, Hedi Slimane, Jimmy Fontaine, Mert and Marcus of course. David Bailey's iconic photos. Bruce Davidson and Nan Goldin's entire bodies of work. Guy Bourdin and Helmut Newton, the original avant-garde, etc. There's just so many talents to name...  It's really about having that signature that people can't forget and not being afraid to take risks. Dreams are a life force. 


Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment