Friday, June 3, 2011

Ask Joey: Meet our Featured Members for June 2011


Here are our picks for June's Featured Members!
I have gone into detail about what ModelWire Network and I look for when selecting our Featured Members, so I won't go into it again.
I just ask you to let me know if you feel the same way we do about these professionals, or if you feel we overlooked anyone. The ModelWire Network team and I ultimately pick out who we want to feature, but we love getting suggestions.
So message me or email support@modelwirenetwork.com about who you feel deserves to be on our Homepage, even if that person means you.

Why Modeling?
I absolutely love fashion and what better way to be involved in it then to be a model! I also love the artistic side of modeling and the whole process from hair and makeup to the photographers picture editing.
Who is your favorite model of all time?
My favorite model would have to be Miranda Kerr. She's not only a sexy Victoria's Secret model but she can do super obscure high fashion ads and I think she's so naturally beautiful. I also really like how she's into helping the environment.
What do you look for when selecting a photographer to work with?
I usually make sure that they have a website and that it's of good recent work. In their email, it's important that they're nice and typed a thought out message and have some sort of idea/concept for the shoot.
What genre does your work focus on?
I like exploring all types of genres in modeling and fashion but if I had to choose a favorite, it would be more on the high fashion editorial side.
What is your personal style?
My personal style is laid back, but nice and thought out at the same time. I like finding cool pieces from thrift stores. Wearing legwarmers, riding boots, earth tone, and high waisted clothes. I would classify my style as urban chic.

Why photography?
I stumbled into photography while in my early 30's. I had an English degree and was in between jobs at the time. I took a few community college courses, hoping to find a subject that I felt passionate about, pursuing for a new career. Coming from a writing background, I took a photography class and was immediately drawn to photography's ability to tell a story in a single image. My photography reflects that; I strive to make provocative narrative with each image I shoot.
Who is your favorite photographer of all time?
Eugenio Recuenco -- I love his aesthetics, lighting, set design, wardrobe, models, and above all -- his story telling. His surrealistic, cinematic approach to photography is incredibly unique, and I respect the resources he draws from for imagery inspiration -- literature, film, art, etc. He is a master of research and pays incredible attention to detail, as reflected in his exquisite work.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
Personality, first and foremost. They must have a unique look, but if their eyes are blank, I can't work with them. I particularly enjoy working with actors/actresses because my work has a narrative quality to it. Acting skills come in handy when modeling for me.
What kind of a camera/equipment do you use?
Canon 5D camera, Broncolor and Profoto strobes. I love light shaping accessories like grids, barndoors, Cinefoil, etc. One of my favorite lights to work with are the Broncolor light bars; they're great for edge lighting and creating dimension in the subjects you're shooting.
What is your personal style?
When doing production work, it's all about beat-up jeans, t-shirts, and worn-out boots. I'm not one to just stand on the sidelines and watch my crew work; I jump in and wallpaper sets if I have to -- whatever it takes to get the job done. While shooting, I love wearing clothing that reflects the tone of the shoot. For example, I shot an image based off a Greek mythological character and wore Grecian sandals and a toga-like dress on shoot day. During my off days, I love wearing funky clothes with an edge to them -- I'm always shopping at All Saints, Spitalfields and often use their clothes for shoots.

Why makeup artist?
I became interested in makeup at a very early age, around 13 years old. I clearly remember my older sister applying makeup on me for the first time and been totally fascinated by the colors that up until then, I took for granted on other people. I suppose when I saw my subtle transformation it suddenly dawned on me that there was a whole new way to play with colors and textures. The crayons of my childhood had suddenly been replaced.
Who is your favorite makeup artist of all time?
Serge Lutens was one of the first makeup artists I remember being captivated by. Technically a perfectionist, he would do much more than just makeup, he would create the entire concept and later in his career, he would also photograph his wonderfully imaginative and distinct ideas.
What inspires you?
It might sound mundane, but art, in all its forms, has always been a source of inspiration to me. I see art in many forms, whether it's theater, ballet, the old Masters work or more contemporary modern urban art. A comic strip an object from a flea market or a swatch of beautiful fabric can send my mind on a journey of ideas.
What do you look for when selecting a model to work with?
Beauty, of course. But when there's that something in their eyes, that tells you that behind them, there is more.
What product can you not live without?
My favorite concealer is Palette; I can do a whole face with just that.

Why hair styling?
I love being a hairdresser! It is creatively satisfying and because the industry is constantly changing it always feels new and fresh to me.
What inspires you?
I'm most inspired by any random wackiness I see on the street: it could be art, architecture or people.
What product can you not live without?
B&B Grooming Crème
What is your favorite project you have worked on?
The "Transformation of Asia" campaign for Vidal Sassoon and Proctor & Gamble in Korea.
What is your most embarrassing moment professionally?
I had this crazy vintage suit that I wore for some TV tapings. I had a vision and thought it was really cool - when I showed up with my suit I realized immediately what a fashion disaster it was. It was too late to change and I had to go ahead and do the shows with this multi-colored sharkskin disco suit on. It was totally embarrassing. Talk to me in 5 years from now and I might think it's cool again; time has a way of changing perspective.

Why wardrobe stylist?
I always get told that "I can only pull the craziest looks together." Styling came natural to me since I was a kid at 9 years old. I remember going into stores and making outfits for people without even working there. I mean I was a kid and I really enjoyed different patterns and fabrics. I'm definitely more of a visual person.
What inspires you?
My all time inspiration is my mother. She's a designer of clothing, jewelry and accessories. She keeps me on my toes.
What is your favorite store to shop at?
I'm a thrift store shopper all day, everyday.
What is your personal style?
I'm the kind of girl who either sets her outfits a night before or the girl who rolls out of bed and throws on the first things she sees. How I dress is solely how I feel the day of. Most of the time I'm a mix and match type of girl. Polka dots and leopard prints can always complement each other as long as you know how to work it.
What genre does your work focus on?
I dab into anything and everything. I'm about being an artist and making sure I allow myself to get creative. Creating boundaries for yourself artistically is the worst thing anyone can do to themselves.
What is your favorite band or song of all time?
Hands down The Smashing Pumpkins

In the meantime,
Have a successful day!
JOEY
Follow me on Twitter @thejoeyhunter
* Have a question for me? Ask away in my ModelWire Network profile

Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment