Thursday, June 9, 2011

Model Moment: DJ





A month ago, I had the pleasure of meeting and working with DJ. I was scrambling to find a model for my "Spring Chameleon" editorial shoot and a good friend of mine gave me her name and number. When we met, I knew she was going to be perfect for the "look" I was trying to achieve. On set, she was nothing but professional and really is a fashion director and photographer's dream. Recently, I sat down with DJ to ask her a few questions about the industry, her life as a model and her aspirations for the future.


How long have you been modeling?
I have been modeling for a year. It's been an amazing experience thus far.
If you could work with one designer who would it be and why?
That’s a hard question for me because I'm still "new" to the fashion industry. I just want to work with everyone who fascinates me. Alexander McQueen was someone I wanted to work with (may he rest in peace), because I love the line so much and love what it stands for. I would also have to say Ashley Jones and Laura Fama of Dimepiece. I remember about 4 years back a friend of mine set up a shoot for a pop group I was in and she provided us with wardrobe by Dimepiece and I loved it! Since then, I have been following their journey and loving every moment of it.
How do you get ready for a photo shoot? What's your routine?
I usually listen to Tupac before a shoot. I also make sure that I have a healthy meal or snack, and of course, I pray!
What are the pros and cons to being a model?
I definitely think meeting new people with different backgrounds and personalities and traveling are the pros. I'm not going to say there aren't any "cons" to it because although I love thinking positive, there are cons to anything. The cons would have to be the "politics" of modeling: too fat, too thin, not tall enough, etc.
Are you signed with an agency? If not, which agency would you like to be signed with?
I am not currently signed with an agency. I don't have a specific agency in mind. All I know is I would like to be with an agency that not only cares about it's "name" but additionally about me and my endeavors as well.
Who are your favorite fashion designers and why?
Every designer I mentioned in this lovely conversation. Like I said before, anyone who fascinates me, intrigues me and actually has love for what they do and are not just doing it because, "everyone else is doing it", "quick money", or "just to be famous". Those fascinating people, I want to work with them. So, let's work you lovely beings! 
How did you learn/improve your "modeling skills"?
When you watch and listen all your questions will be answered (as far as what you're trying to learn). I'm still learning and everyday we all learn something new. When we learn, we apply, practice, and eventually improve what we have learned and turn it into something of our own.
If you could open the pages of any magazine and see yourself in an ad campaign, what magazine and what ad would it be?
Ooo, hmmm... Vogue! Because I'm so in like with Jeffrey Campbell right now, it would have to be an ad for him.
Where do you see yourself and your career in 5 years?
My family and I are living comfortable and I'm content with my career: what I'm doing, how I'm doing it and who I'm working with. I see myself not only being satisfied with my career but with life in general: love, friends, moments. I know there will be ups and downs in life, I'm not asking to be jolly 24/7. I just want to find that balance.
Check out DJ's profile HERE on MWN. 


Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment