Friday, June 3, 2011

Journey of a Small Town Girl


At 24, artist and hair stylist Kristen Shaw has seen and done more than most twenty-somethings could even dream about. Based out of both Los Angeles and New York, she's currently represented by The Magnet Agency and worked with some of the best in the industry. Her work has been featured in magazines such as Nylon, Teen Vogue, Oyster and Interview, just to name a few. But what really sets her apart is her desire to constantly create and her innate belief that change is truly a life force.

"Through so many moments of trial and error, I've become a believer in change as an open window to see the things you were blind to before- to tap into the passions and ideas that were never capable of surfacing in the past. It can be daunting to chance the unknown, to face people you've never met or try out something you've only seen envisioned in your head but trust me - nothing is a bigger mistake than not taking a chance at all.

Part of my job involves being in tune with the things that are said and often times, not said by my clients. Throughout the years, I have met some of the most influential people...vulnerable, risky, and completely out of their minds. I decided to take some stock in this opportunity and create a blog full of stories involving those who have affected me. It's not launched yet but can be found at www.ohno-oko.com. Get ready for story telling madness and secrets about people you've seen all around you but may have never met. "






Tell us a bit about yourself and how you started hair styling.
I grew up in Freeport, IL, a small town in Northwest corner about 2 hours from Chicago. I'd like to think I didn't find hairstyling, but it found me. I have always been into art, and was pursuing theatre/painting in college but something about school at that time in my life didn't feel right. I had been cutting and styling my own hair, along with friends and family since I was about 14, so I suppose it was something I was always doing without realizing. My mom even has photos of me sitting behind family friends on the couch as a three year old playing hair salon! When I left school, I was drawing down at a tattoo shop in Rockford, IL and working at Coldstone Creamery (Yeah!) and the opportunity was presented to go to the Aveda Institute in Chicago...so I went with it. 
How did you end up here in Los Angeles?
The transition to where I am now has been a wild one, consisting of many homes, generous friends, serendipitous moments, and lots of time traveling, always going where felt right at the time. I was on a road trip from NYC (where I lived at the time) with my friend and very talented photographer, Laura Taylor, seeing where life took us. We landed in LA for a brief stay with the only person I knew there, who happened to live at an art commune downtown called BoxEight. I never went back, California got me.



What do you think is more important - school or real life experience?
The school experience I had was a great one. Aveda created an environment for me that was a playground. The curriculum there was one that stimulated all the senses and helped me see more to our industry than the quest for beauty on the outside, when really it's about beauty in every facet of who we are. There is only so much school can do though, it is up to you to run with it. Most all I learned stems from saying I knew how to do something when I didn't, going up to someone I didn't know and asking if I could do their hair, constantly taking chances to create the most beautiful things. I remember showing up on set for the first time out in LA with a can of hairspray and a few bobby pins and having everyone ask me where my kit was! I knew no better, but was so thankful for the opportunity to create something out of nothing. 
What inspires you? 
I get my inspiration from so many things. I find that when I travel I get the most inspired. Placing myself in the middle of a culture shock, a place that is filled with people from different backgrounds, religions, styles than I am is fascinating. I grew up somewhere that had limited access to popular culture unless I saw it on TV, and I believe that could be why I was always so curious to explore all things and people that I didn't know. I feel very lucky to be able to draw inspiration from these places and use them daily in my work. 
What are some of your favorite projects you've worked on? 
I am so fond of Luke Gilford's work and I have done two projects with him in the last few months. We did a fun 50 page spread in Blend Magazine as a collection of Maison Martin Margiela's pieces...and then some killer videos for singer, Bonnie Mckee that - I'm telling you - are so, so good. It may or may not blow your mind, she's just that good and so is Luke.  
Highlight of your career so far?
The highlight of my career hasn't necessarily been the work that I've done, rather it's been more about the people that have come into my life and the places we've gone. To create with people that I may or may not know when I show up to set is quite an exciting idea to me still. It's so important to be open and vibe off of those around you, makes those 14 hours days much easier!
Where do you see your career going in the future?
Currently I am based out of LA, but I spend a lot of my time in NYC working with clients on the East Coast and in my home salon, Suite 303 inside the Chelsea Hotel. My career has never been a planned one, and I don't intend to do any of that...so I'll have to let what I create do the planning for me. 



Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment